Report an absence using our attendance form below or call the attendance line.
If you are reporting an issue with your student’s computer or WiFi, please submit a request through the IT Support Portal so the technology issue may be resolved. If your student has been absent due to technology issues, use the online form or contact the attendance line to excuse your child’s absence.
If you have other concerns related to your child’s schedule, access to virtual learning or other concerns, please contact your child’s counselor. Counselor contact information can be found here on the Falls Church High School website.
24/7 Hour Attendance Line - 703-207-4019
In addition to your student’s ID number and reason for absence, please indicate in your message whether your child has any of the following symptoms:
- Feeling feverish or chills
- Fever greater than or equal to 100.4 F
- Headache (not due to another health condition, hunger, menstrual cramps stress, or injury)
- A new cough (not due to another health condition)
- Shortness of breath or breathing difficulties (not due to diagnosed respiratory condition or if different than normal pattern of chronic condition)
- A new sore throat (not due to another health condition)
- Congestion or runny nose (not related to allergies or health condition)
- Fatigue (more tired than normal or sudden onset)
- New muscle pain (not due to another health condition or that may have been caused by a specific activity such as physical exercise))
- New loss of taste, smell, or appetite
- Abdominal pain (not due to hunger, constipation, injury, or stress)
- Nausea, vomiting or diarrhea
**Attendance portal requests can only be submitted by parents**
Virtual Attendance Policy and Procedures
Monday asynchronous Attendance
- Students must record attendance for Monday each week.
- Attendance is recorded using a Google Form posted in the 4th Period Advisory Google Classroom.
- Students may complete the form from the beginning of 4th Period Advisory on Friday until the end of the day on Monday.
- Failure to record attendance will result in an unexcused absence for the day and notification of the parent or guardian.
Tuesday - Friday Synchronous Attendance
Students are responsible for attending synchronous class sessions in accordance with the virtual bell schedule.
In-person Attendance Policy and Procedures:
(for cohorts of students who have returned to classroom learning)
Students are expected to report to class on time and remain for the entire instructional period. The teacher, not the bell, will dismiss students each period. Attendance is taken daily before the end of each period. Excused absences are for approved reasons and with parent notification. Hall passes will NOT be issued during the first 20 minutes.
School begins promptly at 8:10 a.m. and ends at 2:55 p.m. Students who arrive to school after 8:25 a.m. should report to the Attendance Office immediately upon arrival to obtain a check-in pass. A note or telephone call from a parent/guardian must be provided for a student’s absence or tardy to be considered excused.
Examples of Excused Absences
- Student Illness
- Medical Appointment- please provide a doctor’s note
- Death in the family
- Observance of a Religious Holiday
- Prearranged Absence
- Court Appearances
- Unusual Circumstances
- Difficulty with Technology (IT Support Portal)
Examples of Unexcused Absences
- All day truancy, skipped classes, sr. skip days
- Oversleeping/Power outages
- Missing the bus or ride
- Car trouble or traffic problems
- Failure to check-in or check-out
- Other reasons unacceptable to administrator
When it is necessary for a student to be absent from school, the parent must notify the school. The school will classify the absence as excused or unexcused. There is a FIVE- DAY limit to clear absences after which the absences remain unexcused. Use the online attendance form or call the automated attendance line to report a student’s absence, leave a voice mail and PLEASE MAKE SURE YOU INCLUDE STUDENT'S ID#. If a call is not made to the attendance line on the date of the absence, a note must be brought from the parent/guardian stating the reason for the absence within 48 hours of the date of return. Please include the following information:
- Correct spelling of student’s legal name
- Student ID# (very important)
- Grade level of the student
- Date(s) of absence
- Reason for the absence
- Parent/legal guardian’s daytime telephone
- Parent/legal guardian’s signature (note only)
NOTE: In accordance with state law and school board policy, any student who is absent for fifteen (15) consecutive school days must be withdrawn from school. If a student has excessive absences, parents/guardians will be requested to attend an attendance conference with their child’s administrator to create an attendance plan.
Early Departures From Virtual Learning/School
If a student needs to leave school/class early, a parent/guardian must notify the attendance office before 8 a.m. the day of. A parent/guardian will need to provide the time and the reason for leaving and a phone number for verification. If a student is part of an in-person learning cohort, they must always sign out with parent/guardian permission before leaving school grounds. There are no exceptions to this rule. Leaving virtual learning/school without checking out will result in an unexcused absence in the classes missed.
Check-Out for Early Dismissal due to Illness- Students are to report to the clinic with a pass from their teacher if they are ill during the school day. If the student needs to check-out due to illness, the clinic aide will contact the parents for permission. If the parents/guardians are unavailable, the emergency contacts designated on the emergency care card will be contacted. Only parents/guardians and the emergency contacts may pick up students or authorize clinic staff to release students.
Students who know that they will be absent for more than THREE consecutive days must notify the attendance office at least 48 hours in advance of the absence. A pre-arranged absence form will be given to the student, after receiving notification from parent/guardian identifying the specific reason for the absence. After receiving the pre-arranged form, students will take this form to all of their teachers for signatures and comments. Additionally, the completed form must be submitted to the attendance office prior to the absence. If a student fails to follow this procedure, the absence(s) will be recorded as unexcused.